Robert asks “Are you dis-enchanted with your current OS?” Not to me specifically, but in general. I’ve been using Macs since OS 4.something. Not disenchated, but perhaps bored. I’d love to run OS X, except:
- On my 733Mhz G4 OS X feels like OS 7 did on my Mac Plus. SLOOOOWWW.
- The Hawaiian keyboard that I created in 1991 and has worked for every OS since them no longer works. OS X does not support user installable keyboards.
I did have a nice long phone conference with the International and Text teams last week and they’ve promised me:
- A Hawaiian keyboard,
- Hawaiian sorting routines, and
- Hawaiian date strings and in the proper sequence.
- To add the one character we need for Hawaiian into their font sets
All to be cooked into the earliest possible version of the OS.
There are other issues. While OS X supports Unicode, most Carbon apps don’t, so I’ll have a keyboard that types in Hawaiian using Unicode characters, but no programs (that I’m aware of) that will be able to use it. Oh, well. The waiting game continues…