A few weeks after we moved into our flat in Dunedin, I began to experience some very strange errors when downloading TV programs and movies from iTunes Music Store (iTMS). After beginning the download, I would see the “time remaining” indicator jump from a few hours remaining to just a few minutes. The number would then climb a bit, and then I’d get an 8008 error, along with an indication that the file was corrupted. After a number of attempts I noticed that the file always stopped on a multiple of 10Meg, plus .1 megabyte (70.1, 80.1, 120.1). It would then back up 10 megabytes, try again and always fail. At that point I have to delete the file from the “Downloads” folder and start again. It’s more than a bit annoying. I’m assuming that about every 10 megabytes iTunes does some kind of file verification and that’s when it detects the error, but apparently cannot fix it.
What I end up doing (when the mood strikes), is to download the movie for a while, pause it, make a backup copy of the partial download, and continue. If I get the error I delete the corrupted file in “Downloads”, replace it with my backup, and continue from that point rather than starting all over. It’s a pain in the rump.
Some nights when the download speeds are fast (currently about 1Mps) it’s manageable – I make a backup about every 100 megabyte. On bad nights – forget it. I just go to the Otago library late when the speeds are better. During the day the network there feels like dialup speed.
Our ISP has tried a number of changes but nothing seems to make a difference, nor has some of the recent iTunes upgrades. Bugger. If anyone has a fix (our ISP thinks it might have something to do with NAT conversion), please leave a comment!